Shadyside Memorial Park originally opened in 1897 as a private park for the employees of the Union Traction Company (Inter-Urban Railroad). In 1923, the City of Anderson purchased the park and opened it to the public on July 4th, 1923 with a ceremony dedicating the park to all Madison County war veterans. Local nurseryman, Milton H. Gaar, was contracted in 1928 to construct the Japanese Gardens (now known as the Terraced Gardens). In 1933, construction of the Bear Caves by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) took place. Renovations were necessary in the late 1990s to repair the Terraced Gardens and make other general improvements creating a botanical walk, amphitheater, and what is now known as the Veterans Commons. The play area was expanded into a regional playground suitable for children of all ages and sizes. It provides trail access to Shadyside Recreation Area and the White River Trail System. It is also the location for the Shadyside Little League.
These features may be rented for a fee of $50.
Use of shelter with picnic tables is available for larger gatherings such as family reunions, company picnics, and other outings.
For picnic pod rentals, stationery picnic tables adjacent to the shelter are available for larger gatherings.
Located in the valley area, the park offers a concrete amphitheater with hillside seating for everyone.
Formerly know as the Japanese Gardens, the terrace area is an ideal setting for weddings in an attractive landscaped environment.