In 2006 the State of Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) was in the process of redesigning the State's fire training system (IFTS). They had no money but were looking for partners that could help improve emergency response training in each of the IDHS's 10 districts. At the time Anderson was also looking for ways to improve it's training. Especially since a levee project along the White River had displaced the fire department from it's former training grounds. Representatives from most of the 13 counties that comprise IDHS District 6 met, and with those representative's consent, Anderson Fire Department became the training hub and fiscal agent for IDHS District 6.
At the same time the fire administrative staff, with the IAFF local 1262, convinced the city fathers to build a new updated training facility. A thorough search of the city was begun to find a suitable location. It was agreed by all parties involved that the 18 acres available at 5812 M.L.K. Jr. Blvd. was the most suitable of available locations.
In 2008, a flashover chamber was added to the facility. We also began work on a phase 2 flashover chamber and an LP gas training area.
In 2009, construction was begun on a 5000 square foot classroom facility. This building was completed and open for business in September of 2011.
In 2014, request for use of the classrooms had grown to a point where we needed more space. Two modular classrooms were added to the facility. These modulars were donated to us by the South Madison Community School Corporation.